NPAFC Internship Program
NPAFC invites citizens from its member countries (Canada, Japan, Rep. of Korea, Russian Federation and USA) to apply for the NPAFC Internship Program. The period of the internship is up to six (6) months. One or two interns per year will be accepted upon approval of the Commission. Interns will work at the NPAFC Secretariat office in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Deadline for submission of applications: March 14, 2023
To help early-career professionals gain experience and knowledge in operations of the Commission and provide an opportunity to test their interest in international governmental organizations, fisheries management, salmon biology, ecology, and fisheries enforcement. The NPAFC Secretariat benefits from increased capacity through the presence of an additional professional bringing his/her experience and knowledge.
Nature of the Internship
The intern works under the supervision of the Executive Director and/or his/her designates and may be given a wide variety of tasks:
- plan, develop, and complete an individual project in enforcement, science, communication, fisheries management, or administration;
- prepare information for and provide support to special projects;
- assist organizing and editing various NPAFC publications;
- coordinate international cooperative programs;
- assist Secretariat activities; and
- assist with other work delegated by the Executive Director and/or his/her designates.
Period of internship: Up to a maximum of 6 (six) months, with the start date to be negotiated. Start date must occur between the period of July–December 2023. The intern is expected to perform his/her tasks at the Secretariat office on a daily basis, Monday–Friday, 7.5 hours per day.
Deadline for application: March 14, 2023
Qualifications of Candidates
Applicants must be a citizen of an NPAFC member-country, have a university degree (for example either an undergraduate or graduate degree), the ability to read, write, and speak English, the ability to use computers and the internet, and demonstrated personal initiative.
Applicants must currently be a part of the government or academic sector, a recent graduate, or currently enrolled in school for an advanced degree.
Guidelines for Application and Selection Procedure
Applicants will apply to the NPAFC Secretariat following the procedure described on the NPAFC website. Applicants must describe their interests and qualifications in a cover letter, provide a resume delineating their academic and work experience, and submit three professional letters of reference. Reference letters can be submitted by the applicant or directly from referees. By whichever method, the three reference letters must be submitted to the Secretariat by the deadline.
- Applications (including cover letter, resume, and three reference letters) must be received by the NPAFC Secretariat 60 days prior to the NPAFC Annual Meeting.
- The NPAFC Executive Director will review applications and transmit his/her recommendation(s) to the NPAFC Points of Contact 30 days prior to the NPAFC Annual Meeting.
- The Commission will announce the successful intern at the Annual Meeting.
- The NPAFC Secretariat staff will contact the successful intern immediately after the Annual Meeting by email, or by phone, or by regular mail to make arrangements with the intern to assume the internship.
NPAFC will provide a stipend of CDN $3,000 per month. Travel costs for the intern to and from his/her place of residence and the location of the Secretariat will be at the intern’s own expense or by home country support. Travel expenses associated with the Intern’s work in the Secretariat will be covered by NPAFC. The intern’s medical insurance and benefits are not covered by the NPAFC Internship Program (contact the Secretariat for details).
How to Apply
Procedure for applying for the NPAFC Internship Program:
Submit the following to the Secretariat by email (email@example.com):
(1) A cover letter describing applicant’s interests and qualifications
(2) Resume showing academic and/or work experience
(3) Three professional letters of reference
(4) Personal Data Page of passport as a citizenship proof
Deadline for submission: March 14, 2023 (date received by the Secretariat)
2023 Annual Meeting Date: May 15–19, 2023
Start date of the next internship: to be negotiated for between the period of July–December 2023
Duration of internship: maximum of six months